I've missed Ramona terribly over the last few weeks - home just hasn't felt like home without our furry little beast loafin' around... At first, we weren't sure if we were quite ready to invite another creature in to the house. With the wedding coming up, and the heart break over Ramona, we were quite torn, but figured it couldn't hurt if we browsed the Toronto Cat Rescue web site looking for that special connection...
... I've always wanted a maine coon cat, but an even bigger part of me wanted to save an older cat who desperately needed a home. Kirb's co-worker (who volunteers with the Toronto Cat Rescue) said it would be next to impossible to find an older maine coon, so we kinda pushed that dream aside, and concentrated on our favourite breed (the domestic long haired tabby). While scrolling through all of the kitty's, Kirb's eagle eye discovered this advert:
Lynx *maine coon declawed*
DLH/Maine Coon, brown tabby male, neutered, vaccinated, declawed, DOB January 31, 2002. Lynx is a very handsome boy with a distinctive wild cat look. He is brown tabby with an almost black back! He has a very special, funny meow that sounds like a strong request. Lynx is a "people" cat. He will follow you around the house and watch carefully what you're up to. He'll jump on your lap as soon as you settle to work on a computer. His favourite spot is on a computer desk just by the keyboard. He'll also watch TV with you taking over the sofa. It takes him awhile to get used to other cats and he doesn't like dogs. Lynx is clean and healthy, eats well - he likes dry and wet food. His long coat will require regular, but not extensive brushing. He'd do well as the only pet, but could get used to other cats and dogs as as he's king of the house and loved lots and lots.
I was more than sold.
After much back and forth with his foster Mum and the TCR volunteer, I made a date to pick him up at the PetSmart on Airport Road (in Brampton). My Brother met me at the Kipling station kiss n' ride after work and we made the long journey out there to meet him. My heart was racing the entire time. What if the connection wasn't there? What if he didn't like me?
When we got to the store, I rushed down the main aisle muttering, "Where is he? Where is he?"Finally, at long last, John and I stopped in our tracks and looked down an impossibly long aisle to see him staring at us from a cage at the other end of the store! We ran over and were greeted by another TCR volunteer. The poor fella really wasn't happy to be stuck in a cage, and to make matters worse, stuck in a cage surrounded by other cats! In fact, when I reached my arm in to finally pet him, he responded with a low rowl - I worried that my greatest fear had come true, and he didn't want to go home with me at all :( The volunteer pulled him out of the cage and took us to a private spot where we could bond - it worked; after a few sniffs and scratches he was putty in my arms!
We filled out the paper work, picked up a few supplies, loaded him in to the cat carrier and headed home, I'll never forget that moment when I brought him in the house, and Kirby came down the stairs asking how it all went... By that point, he was crawling out of the cage and checking the place out.
He fit in right away. Just like the posting on Toronto Cat Rescue said he would.
I have fallen in love with that white patch on his chin.
So regal.
A true gentleman.
It's truly amazing how quickly we bonded with this little guy. Ya see, Cooper was on death row 3 times. Thank goodness that there was a lady technician at the shelter who he charmed enough to make her pull him out of the lineup every time. On Christmas Eve, 2009, he was picked up by the foster Mom that we would eventually adopt him from. I emailed her the other day and she told me that his shelter name was... get this... "Gilly". What the?!
Sometimes we call him, "Gilly"... just for fun.
xo Kate





1 comment:
He's a terribly handsome cat. This, coming from a dog person, should mean something.
Post a Comment