Monday, March 19, 2012

Terrarium Update

So on Friday afternoon I went to water my terrarium only to discover that the baby tears plant had disintegrated in to a creepy cloud of black dust!  Seriously, it's like someone zapped them with a lazar beam or something.  It's kinda hard to see the damage in this photograph, but I'm sure you can get the gist:


That afternoon, Mom and I went to Sheridan Nurseries where I noticed that the lids on their terrariums weren't sitting directly on them, but more like balancing on the opening on a tilt so the air could get in.  I asked the plant supervisor about this who explained that leaving the lid directly on them would suffocate the plants.  I told her what happened to mine and she confirmed that I had (pretty much) steamed the baby tears to death.  You read it here folks, I am a plant murderer!  With new found determination I picked up another pot of baby tears and a super cool venus fly trap!

Earlier in the week, Kirb and I picked up this little glass jar at the local Good Will (on 50% off day - yes!) and a cute little cactus at a local plant shop.  I was sure to ask my friend at Sheridan about caring for the cactus.  She confirmed that they LOVE small pots (because they have itty-bitty roots) and you basically let the soil dry out then water it.  I am the QUEEN of letting soil dry out so I think this guy might have a chance... Kirb likes how it looks like some sort of creature sprouting from an egg.  I like how it looks on my desk at the office.  I move him to the window when the weather's right.


On Friday, Kirb and I celebrated the 20th anniversary of the night we met at the Hard Rcok Cafe in the Skydome.  A few day earlier, I told him that we should get each other a little "token" something to celebrate the occasion.  He called me at 8:00 on Friday night declaring that he went all over the city to find my gift, so he couldn't wait to see what I got him.  Shoot.  Me and my big mouth; I hadn't got him anything :(  Not only am I a plant murderer, but I am also the worst wife in the world.  With only 45 minutes until he was expected home, I tore out of the house to ask our local plant shop if they had any moss for a quick carnivorous terrarium.  No luck.  I banged on my neighbour's door; she works at Plant World, so I though there MIGHT be a chance that she had some.  No dice.   We started chatting and she confirmed that I could use potting soil and offered to come over to help me out (I LOVE our neighbours!)  Within minutes we had created my favourite terrarium so far!  World, meet "Chomps"! 


Kirby (and Cooper) love him, and I LOVE the commemorative pint glass Kirby bought me from the Hard Rock Cafe!


 xo Kate

1 comment:

Kirby said...

I love the way your plant at work looks, very futuristic! It is also nice to see that Cooper and Chomps have become good friends so quickly. I'd take Chomps to work with me to keep him safe from Coooper except my workspace has 0% natural light. Thanks for the great gift!

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.