Last Sunday was like any other Sunday. I woke up early (ish) and headed straight to Hob Nob for my morning fix. There's a reason why the awning says, "The Finest Coffee on the Kingsway" because it is. I remember walking in and thinking it was kinda strange that all the regulars were there. I mean, ALL of them... at the exact same time. It wasn't just the fact that they were there, it was the fact that all of them were sitting there staring directly at the owner, and when a few of us walked in, silence.
The next day, Kirby woke up, and just like me the day before, he went directly for the Nob. But unlike me, he was greeted by this.
The next day, Kirby woke up, and just like me the day before, he went directly for the Nob. But unlike me, he was greeted by this.
Words can not begin to express the way I felt when he came home (with Tim Horton's) and told me. Kirb and I had to change the lyrics to our, "I'm going to Hob Nob" song (sung to the tune of, "I'm going to Jackson", by none other than Johnny and June Cash.)
When I was a little girl, my doctor was right around the corner. I remember pretending I couldn't pee in to the cup just so Mom would take me to the Nob for a cool drink and a donut.And dismay.
I've seen some of the regulars around the hood, but it's just not the same. One of them was sitting outside the French bakery the other day, but he was alone. Then I saw another one sitting on a patio looking longingly at every person that walked through the front door. I, personally, miss the old Chow Chow with the bum leg whose owner would sit with her in front of the Nob.
Now there are "FOR RENT" signs in the windows. I wouldn't be surprised if a Tmmy Ho's opened there; prime real estate!
Good-bye, Hob Nob. The K-way won't be the same without you.
xo K
I've seen some of the regulars around the hood, but it's just not the same. One of them was sitting outside the French bakery the other day, but he was alone. Then I saw another one sitting on a patio looking longingly at every person that walked through the front door. I, personally, miss the old Chow Chow with the bum leg whose owner would sit with her in front of the Nob.
Now there are "FOR RENT" signs in the windows. I wouldn't be surprised if a Tmmy Ho's opened there; prime real estate!
Good-bye, Hob Nob. The K-way won't be the same without you.
xo K

No comments:
Post a Comment