That's right, I got an A+ in my first photography course at Ryerson!
School and I have not been friends for awhile now. Even when I was at ESA, I was too busy dealing with puberty to care about what was going on in class. I managed to squeak by with decent grades, but I never put any real effort in because nothing really captured my interest. I was a Music Theatre major. I always landed the schtick part in every school production; I was too insecure to sing in my real voice. Kirby changed that when I started my karaoke night the first year we were dating. I went up to the stage and did my usual goofy performance and everyone laughed (as usual) and I felt great. He laughed too, but after a few weeks he confessed and said he would rather hear me sing in my normal voice. I started to right then and everything changed.
After high school, I went to College for Creative Advertising. It was great; I was actually interested in what I was learning (especially my photography course.) But again, I let me heart rule my head and I made decisions that I wonder if I would have made if I could look forward 10 years from now... back then. I went to college in 1995 - this was before the internet was what it is today. It was before anyone I knew had a web site, and I got my very own first e-mail address - carrotgirl14@hotmail.com. In order to do research for assignments, we used to call the advertising agencies directly and ask for their sales packages. So many of the other students had a hell of a time getting the information that they needed, so they would ask me to call for them - I dunno, I seemed to have a knack for it...
...The whole point to this ramble was how much I've enjoyed the courses I'm taking in photography again! I'm excited to learn more and figure out my niche.
My final assignment for Digital Tools was a magazine cover. I have since done a few more magazine covers; I love the colours and the WAY over the top headlines and the eye catching tactics they use to get your attention. Here's one I made for my Nephew's 4th birthday:

I've since found web sites that are set up with a software to create the same (ish) look for you... Ah man, I knew I was on to something!
The next course I'm taking is called, Digital Capture. I can't wait for the assignments! Then I have to take Digital Capture Two and History of Photography. Kirb picked me up some great books from the library, so I've been familiarizing myself with all the old photographers; I want to have SOME knowledge going in!
Wish me luck...
xo K

1 comment:
Congrats!! I'm super proud of you cous!!
Post a Comment