Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Painting

Every year, my Mom's neighbourhood has a community-wide garage sale. Last year, I woke up super early and went on my own. I figured I'd bump in to Mom sooner or later. After already perusing several sales, we took a left turn off the main road to see if anything was going on. We stumbled on one sale where something in the garage immediatly caught my eye. It was a painting of a street scene. I asked the young lady who was running the show how much she wanted for it. My heart sunk (and sored at the same time!) when she told me that it was actually a painting that her Grandfather had painted and she wasn't 100% sure she wanted to sell it. I told her she should keep it because it was great and it was her own Grandpa's work - how cool!

This year, I woke up super early and went to the sales with Kirby. One of my first destinations was that house off the main road to see if A: I could recall which house it was and B: she had somehow changed her mind and was REALLY interested in selling the painting. Almost instinctively, I walked right towards the house and immediately recognized the girl from the year before. I approached her and asked about the painting. She said that it was now proudly displayed on the wall in her office (a part of me died, I'll admit it!) I was about to turn around and walk away when she said that he had another painting that was really similar sitting down in the basement; maybe he would like to sell that one! She went in to the house and asked what he thought, and he was all for it (as long as I forked over a crisp $25) I happily obliged and left with my very own alternative version of the painting.

To be completely honest, I don't even remember the original painting that is now hanging on her office wall. All I know is my version and I love it!


xo K

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.