Thursday, March 12, 2009

AGO Field Trip

On Wednesday Evening, Chrissy and I hooked up with our fellow photography students to take in the new and improved Art Gallery of Ontario. Even though it was FREEZING and terribly windy outside, we decided to walk down to Dundas so we could snap a few pics along the way. Here's one of Chrissy hanging out with some new friends that she made along the way.

We had to grab a bite to eat before meeting the group, so I suggested that we go to The Village by the Grange on Dundas. I haven't been there for years, and it wasn't anything like I remembered. In fact, Kirby told me that it used to be a really fancy mall complete with fountains and fashion stores - I don't recall it being THAT fancy, but I also don't recall it being so... not so fancy. The first thing I noticed was the floor and how the layers of paint were peeling off all over the place - it reminded me of a world map. Here's Chrissy (in her fancy boots) standing somewhere between Africa and South America.

After circling the food court several times, we finally settled on a place to eat - the Greek place (NOT its official name.) I took a few pics of the funny kitty on the counter, but this seemed to disturb the guy who worked there because he called his Mother to the front to ask me why I was taking photos. I told her that I'm taking a photography class and that I liked her kitty. She said, "but that's MY kitty!" She didn't seem terribly upset though. Chrissy noted that when she was talking to me, she had her hands resting in the lettuce, and when she handed us straws for our colas, she wiped her nose with her hand before doing so. Hmmm... a sign of what was yet to come, perhaps?

I took the first bite of my pita and told Chrissy that the chicken tasted... off. Kinda like it was cooked a few days ago. Chrissy (while removing every last bit of chicken from her pita) told me that if it tastes weird, we shouldn't chance it. Our dinner that evening consisted of tzatziki filled pita bread and whatever vegetables didn't plunge to their death on the wrapper below. A visual (just for you!)

Tee hee.

This is Chrissy and I post dinner. We were both pretty smelly from the tzatziki, but somehow managed to grin and bear it!

After our "meal" we met up with our fellow students in the line-up. Did you know that every Wednesday night between 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. you can get in to the AGO for free?! That being said, thank goodness we got there early because closer to 6:00, the line-up went all the way around the block!

They recently completed a TON of renovations of the entire gallery - one of my favourite parts was the cool wooden winding staircases (as seen in the background of this typical tourist shot!)

Here's a pic of what the staircases look like when you're actually walking down them...

And HERE's video (just in case you didn't get the picture!)



Of course, there was also some really great art at the gallery too! We saw a genuine Picasso and another CRAZY interactive exhibit that was actually inside an RV! You could go in, hang out and play old 45's on the record player. This room also contained one of the longest and largest knitting projects that I have ever seen! I wanted to get a pic for Hil, but the Gallery Attendants were tough cookies and I didn't want to cross them.

Afterward, a group of us went to this little independent coffee shop at the corner of Dundas and McCaul. I wanted to have a hot chocolate, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $4.50 they were asking for it. Instead, I opted for a peanut butter cookie.

Earlier in the evening, my photography teacher caught me using the flash on my point and shoot camera (a BIG no-no) but I explained that you can't adjust the ISO on it; it's a pretty old model. I got to wondering if I really COULD adjust the ISO, so when I was down in the bathroom, I started fiddling around with all the settings. I couldn't find the ISO setting, but I DID stumble across the 2-in-1 feature that I never knew I had!


Next time I'll test it with more attractive subject matter.

xo K

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.