Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Glimpse into the Past at Futures

I have been craving mashed potatoes from Future's Bakery for several days now. On Monday, Kirb agreed to meet me after work and partake in some, but when push came to shove, he convinced me to walk further west for dinner at Billy's (a battle that I happily lost.)

I thought the craving would subside with time, but yesterday it seemed to grow stronger, so Maya and I ditched our dinner plans and went to Future's - Hooray! Just walking through the front door brought back so many memories...

...Like that time April and I were sitting there making eyes at a handsome stranger who abruptly got up from his seat, sat down across from us, and rattled off a beautiful poem that he had written just for us - the only line I recall is, "twin eyes meet mine..." We used to get that all the time - people thinking we were twins because of our matching red hair. But if you really took the time to look beyond that, you'd see that her face was covered in freckles whereas mine is not, and her eyes were green whereas mine are blue. Details, people.

We used to spend countless hours sitting there, eating mashed potatoes, people watching, and hoping to casually "run in to" boys we liked. In hindsight, we must've driven the staff crazy with our constant lingering and lack of purchasing anything (besides potatoes!)

Maya and I snatched up a great spot by the window looking right out on to Bloor St. Within the half hour time frame we sat there I saw:

1. Dustin Rabin (an old friend of the Cous' and a phenomenal photographer (http://www.dustinrabin.com/) I should've said hi, but I was there to people WATCH not people socialize...
2. Kevin Smy and what's his face (two guys I used to look up to in high school)
3. Dina (my old boss from the Royal Cinema. After all these years, she STILL dyes her hair purple!)

Side note: I've known two purple lovers in my lifetime, and is it just me, or do people who really love purple REALLY love purple?! I really like pink and blue. A girl I work with REALLY likes pink and told me that she has to wear it every day in some way, shape, or form. I have to admit, I always feel just a wee bit prettier in pink.

After we finished our potatoes, we walked west to Bathurst station to catch the subway home. Two girls across from us were arguing about whose house the other should go to. They were young (perhaps first year of College) and one showed signs of eventually becoming that crazy lady on the subway that everyone tries to avoid eye contact with. She kept blurting things out, laughing spontaneously, and complaining that the system was trying to ruin her life. Her friend looked embarrassed by her, and when she got off the train, the soon-to-be-crazy-lady called out, "Hey, Vivian! Make sure you don't go telling anyone my personal business!" The friend said she wasn't planning to and hopped off the train. I wonder what their relationship was...

xo K

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.