Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday Adventures

The plan was to meet Hil at King St. station at 12 o'clock sharp - and from there, grab some breakfast, check out the local antique market then head to the movies to see, "He's just not that in to you."

We strolled along King Street until we came across an enchanted mushroom. For serious, it was a HUGE mushroom sculpture that someone uses as their studio space! Read all the deats here: http://www.torontosculpturegarden.com/currentexhibit.htm

And see my artsy photographs here:


OK, this one's not so artsy, but it sure give you the full "picture."
It was a perfect March 1 in Toronto! Just lookit that sky over the coffin block - not a single cloud!

After we FINALLY managed to find a place for breakfast (RIP Golden Griddle on Jarvis) we bopped over to the antique market where the treasures were absolutely endless! I saw so many things that I wanted to buy, but had to restrain myself as payday only comes once a month, and I always make the mistake of thinking I'm richer than I really am the first weekend after it :(

Both Hil and I were captivated by this beauty - the pink bow is the perfect accessory. After we snapped a few pics, the vendor rushed over to ask us if her hair was OK, and if he should fluff it to improve her look. We assured him that she was perfect as is.

I've been fascinated by glass paperweights ever since I read a story years ago about this selfish little girl who stole one from this CRAZY lady's house, and as punishment, woke up the next morning INSIDE the paperweight... FOREVER... Gives me chills to this day....

Now THIS vendor had all sorts of treasures! He explained that this beauty was a kit that denture salesmen would have taken on sales calls to show off the different molds they could make. I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy it, and if they did, what they'd do with it, but who am I to judge?

Check out the close-up - ewwwwwww!!

My tally of purchases for the day included: an old fashioned - battery operated 2 x 2 slide viewer, a glass paperweight (I feel a new collection coming on), a birthday gift for my Brother (but I don't want to give away the surprise cuz it's just too good), a dirty old pocketbook for Kirb, a hand-made glass bead (some day I'll make a necklace out of it) and my most FAVOURITE find ... a metal wall sculpture of three wise owls sitting on a branch! The first thing I did when I got home was google the artists name, "Curtis Jere", and I was delighted to see that he has a plethora of amazing stuff that has sold for upwards of $2,400!! To think, I picked up this beauty for $25. I tried to take a picture, but my computer at home spit the images back at me :( Long story, we desperately need more hard drive space!

After the market we went to the Rainbow Cinema where Hil made fast friends with one of the locals who dropped so many names we almost tripped on them! The movie was just what the doctor ordered - a little bit of fuzzy fluff on a cold winter day.

xo K

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.