Friday, February 22, 2008

Caboose!

I've fallen in love with a little town in Ontario called Port Elgin. It's not just the town, it's the entire area actually! They call it Saugeen Shores and I've never felt more at home anywhere in my entire life: http://www.saugeenshores.ca/

I was fooling around one day on mls.com and came across what I considered to be a DREAM vacation property (or permanent residence, if you're dreaming REALLY big!) for only $8,750 we could have our very own refurbished CABOOSE! I talked about it it a lot, we hummed, we hawed, but we didn't jump on it fast enough and the listing vanished. As did the dream, my friends... as did the dream. Now my dreams were nightmares of a family romping and playing around OUR caboose - laughing at the poor suckers who didn't jump on it fast enough...

... It was an early morning last August when Kirb and I were walking down the main drag in Port Elgin - taking in all the sights. A poster in a window caught my eye. It was the listing for our CABOOSE!


We ran in to the Real Estate office to see if we could make an appointment for an Open House! It was agreed that we'd meet Don at the camp ground the next day at 1:00 p.m.

The lot was well kept and it was in an ideal location. It faced right on to a farmers field and had the most wonderful camp fire. We couldn't wait to see inside...

It was more than I could've imagined. The potential was just out of this world. In hindsight, why the heck didn't we at the very LEAST make an offer on that lazy boy!

Everyone say hi to Leanne, "Hi Leanne!"

Kirb made himself at home at the dining room table.

It was like the table was set in anticipation for our arrival!

Images of cozy nights around this beauty were dancing in my head..

And speaking of cozy nights, may I present to you, the bedroom...

Which you had to walk thru to get to bathroom..

The tub was right across from the bed. I figured we'd rip that out and add bunk beds just like the caboose they slept in in "Some Like it Hot" starring the late Marilyn Monroe.

Truly, this place was the stuff that dreams were made of. Luckily though my Brother and Kirb were there to snap me back to reality. The place was anything but perfect. There was a beehive in the ceiling (nothing an exterminator couldn't take care of.) The foundation seemed to be slowly rotting (it had "character") and the camp had very stringent rules that we feared would be awful hard to abide by considering we like to get a little rowdy when we're on vacation!

But who are we kidding here? We're not HALF as rowdy as these characters I snapped on the beach! Now THAT's a caboose!

Moral of the story. Some fantasies are better off remaining fantasies...

xo Kate

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sheesh, just look at those mugs... And I was worried about that grotesque image of me you managed to deem appropo for your crazy, yet quite amusing blog Katherine.

About Me

My photo
Red hair, blue eyes, loves her fella, her cat and neighbourhood, and the brand new boots she just bought. Seriously. They feel like slippers.